A Pathway for CAPITAL-FREE Optimization, Makes Best-Possible Performance a Measurable Reality
A”Mining Process” for Upside Potential – It’s Time to Find Out How Good You Can Be – It’s Time to Explore for More!
For thousands of years, sailing ships were used to explore unknown worlds and civilizations. In mining, exploration involves a search for undiscovered orebodies; once found, companies depend on systems for all the data they need to mine/process ore and meet budget. If a company’s goal is “best possible” instead of budget, executives and managers want equipment and people to perform at their best so that profit can be maximized. Here’s the problem: dollars for “best” results are missing from their systems, which means companies don’t know how far away they are from “best” and can’t explore, quantify or reduce that gap to bring more dollars to the bottom line. This data void means companies MUST SETTLE FOR LESS PROFIT than their equipment and people are capable of generating!
Now those days are over! Now you can quantify what “best” looks like and measure the dollars your equipment and people COULD NOT BRING to the bottom line. Exploring for those dollars is the first step in achieving “best possible” performance and optimization.
IT’S TIME TO EXPLORE FOR MORE!
If your leadership team wants to “move beyond budget”, achieve optimization/”best possible” results, and sustain those results for the long term WITHOUT SPENDING CAPITAL, you have come to the right place!
Did you know that companies can be “in the black” or meet budget year after year and still leave millions of dollars on the table? These dollars are linked to profit that equipment and people were capable of generating, but didn’t… dollars for What’s Not Working, What’s Not Happening, What’s Missing, What’s Lost, and What’s Available But Hidden.
How can executives and management teams be unaware of this much missing profit? Because there is NO ACCOUNTING SYSTEM for Opportunity!
When leadership teams CAN’T QUANTIFY dollars they forfeit, they CAN’T ACT to convert these losses to profit. If companies DON’T KNOW THE GAP between today’s performance and “how good they can be”, they CAN’T CLOSE THE GAP and they CAN’T ACHIEVE “best possible” results! The GOOD NEWS is that a solution for this problem is finally here!
MiningOpportunity is a Proven CAPITAL-FREE Optimization Process
- OPTIMIZATION METRICS is a methodology for finding/quantifying the dollars you are leaving on the table across a site or company (hidden capacity/unreported losses for assets, the organization and management practices)…dollars that are missing from or hidden in the financial system, so you never see them and can’t act to capture them with actual and budget data.
- OPTIMIZATION MANAGEMENT is a set of management strategies/tactics for optimizing performance by using the metrics to stop hidden losses, tap into hidden operating capacity, fix organizational weaknesses and upgrade management processes/practices so executives and management teams can “manage to optimize” as a new way to work and maximize earnings.
- When optimization metrics are combined with optimization management strategies/tactics, people can shift from a cost reduction operating mode to a loss reduction operating mode. This shift enables people across a site or company to know what causes losses and act to minimize losses and their risk of loss, maximize profit and deliver ”best possible” results.
- THIS OPTIMIZATION PROCESS IS MUCH LIKE A MINING PROCESS where leaders and their people
- Explore and discover upside potential (hidden operating/earnings capacity) using metrics designed for that purpose.
- Remove an organization’s overburden (the barriers that trap and hide upside potential) to access hidden losses.
- Extract hidden losses that are reducing reported profit NOW. When these losses are stopped, profit goes up.
- Upgrade the management system and organization with new perspectives, metrics and tools linked to “best” results.
How is Capital-Free Optimization Different From Improvement?
- The improvement process incrementally increases today’s performance in the midst of invisible barriers that sabotage success. Without data to indicate how good you could be, the size of opportunity may default to a percent increase over last year’s actuals. Production process barriers may be removed, but management barriers are seldom removed… barriers that will jeopardize project gains and prevent the sustainability of improvement initiatives.
- In the MiningOpportunity process, the size of opportunities is determined by data that quantifies the gap between today’s performance and the “BEST” you could do. You gain access to your hidden potential by removing the barriers that stand in your way. You know how good you can be before you decide on a plan to reach your target! When you know the size of this gap, your strategy changes. It’s not about getting better… it’s about GETTING IT ALL so you can optimize performance…. a different way to THINK… a different way to OPTIMIZE… a different way to MAKE MONEY… a different way to CHANGE!
OPTIMIZE BEFORE START-UP: The Perfect Optimization Opportunity
New operations have a one-time opportunity to position the site to achieve “best-possible” performance starting on Day One of production. It is possible to choose and integrate optimization metrics strategically into asset management, the organization and management processes to make “best possible” the way you measure, manage, work and do business over LOM. This means that management has positioned the site to minimize/eliminate all losses over LOM. Executives and site management will NEVER KNOW how many millions of dollars will be saved, but they WILL KNOW they have a system in place designed to minimize their risk of loss and maximize the flow of profit generated by the entire site.
MiningOpportunity Education/Training/Coaching Program – 2 Modules, 5 Parts
FOR EXECUTIVES AND SITE MANAGEMENT TEAMS: A management education/training program that positions a company to tap into their hidden upside potential (the dollars they are leaving on the table), then “measure and manage” differently to capture and convert their hidden capacity/losses to earnings with a goal of eliminating their reserve of profit potential and stopping future losses.
OPTIMIZATION METRICS MODULE – Learn how to find and quantify your upside potential… the hidden losses/capacity NOT REPORTED by your financial system. Learn how to prioritize, track, analyze and communicate those losses, how to manage your process of discovery, and how to keep exploring for losses year after year.
OPTIMIZATION MANAGEMENT MODULE – Learn how to connect optimization metrics to management processes/practices and working relationships. TURNING ON THE POWER: These connections align your organization with your optimization goals. A shift to a loss reduction operating mode makes it easier to remove weaknesses/inefficiencies so people can work at their best level. As a result of this work, losses caused by the weaknesses stop and profit goes up FOR FREE!
A summary of educational content follows below; see the TEAM TRAINING PAGE for more detail.
Learning the Ropes…
On sailing ships of old, the captain and crew “knew the ropes”… which ropes to tighten and loosen to keep the sails aligned with the wind, avoid storms and move in the direction they wanted to go. Knowing the ropes was mandatory for sailing.
Likewise, knowing the ropes for Capital-Free Optimization is mandatory for success. In this unique educational opportunity, you will “learn the ropes”… how to look inward for hidden operating/earnings potential and convert it to profit to achieve and sustain optimization/”best” results.
A Note from Kay: I will be your navigator and coach and your team will be the captain and crew of the ship. We will all be in the same “optimization boat” together, which means we will be doing a lot of things together and depending on each other for success. On your optimization journey, you will be looking for hidden profit potential in your assets, your organization and your management system AND the barriers that hide it, trap it or sabotage your efforts to capture it. Once you value the losses you find, you will learn how to “mine” them and convert them to profit using strategies and tools for that purpose. As losses are discovered and stopped, your reserve of hidden profit potential goes down and earnings go up.
PART 1: OVERVIEW
EXPECTATIONS FOR YOUR JOURNEY: Your training begins with a 30,000 foot view of your optimization voyage… what to look for, surprises you may discover, hazards that can stop your progress, changes you will experience along the way, and what your destination looks like. We review the content of BOTH MODULES and talk about DEFINITIONS, PERSPECTIVES, METRICS, BARRIERS/BOTTLENECKS, and MANAGEMENT SYSTEM LINKS (the Big Picture).
PART 2: OPTIMIZATION METRICS MODULE – QUANTIFYING YOUR UPSIDE POTENTIAL
TOPICS COVERED: Mathematical Proof That Potential Exists, Finding/Valuing Hidden Losses, Connecting Metrics to Performance, Communicating Hidden Losses/Capacity Visually and Orally, Managing the Discovery Process
PARTS 3-5: OPTIMIZATION MANAGEMENT MODULE – TURNING ON THE POWER
“HAZARD TRAINING” FOR OPTIMIZATION – Recognizing and Removing Barriers that Trap Profit, Minimizing Risk of Loss
Understanding Your Barrier Dam, Quantitative/Qualitative Barrier Types, Barrier Removal Strategies, Improvement Sabotage, Removing Barriers to Minimize Your Risk of Loss, Creating a Comfort Zone for Change
CONNECTING METRICS TO MANAGEMENT PROCESSES/PRACTICES AND WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Equipment Management, Control/Response Plans, ISO Links, Budgets, Capital Requests, Expansion Capital, Working Together/Corporate Culture, Project Management, Value Stream Management, Leadership Team Processes and Choices
TRAIN TO SUSTAIN: Strategies/Tactics for Sustaining Your Team’s Learnings and Financial Gains for the Long Term
“BEST POSSIBLE” PERFORMANCE TESTIMONIALS
“I am happy because you are teaching my people to think like I do!” J. Huang, CEO, Chinalco Copper, Peru
“Kay helped our managers see the world differently and zero in on the best value opportunities…
Kay knows how to change a culture.” Richard Robison, Senior Vice President, Peabody Energy
MiningOpportunity Teaches Executives and Management Teams how to Quantify what “Best Possible” looks like and Provides Strategies/Tactics for Removing Barriers and Bottlenecks Preventing Them from Achieving It… without Capital Spending. There is no other educational management team training program like this!
It’s Time to Stop leaving Money on the Table. It’s Time to Talk to THE EXPERT with 25 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE in “BEST POSSIBLE” PERFORMANCE and OPTIMIZATION MANAGEMENT!
We would be happy to answer your questions about this unique one-of-a-kind training program.
OPPORTUNITY: The only element with an infinite atomic number and weight. An odorless invisible element defined as a hidden or substandard set of circumstances in business that, when not acted upon, creates invisible losses that reduce profit. These losses can be eliminated by management when linked to beliefs, behaviors and numbers that drive the corporate culture, yielding a desirable green substance found in financial institutions.